Saturday, April 30, 2011

The strength of Hercules, the wisdom of Athena, the speed of Mercury... the feminism of Diana

When given the task to choose a topic for my Women's Studies praxis project, at first I drew a blank. Then one day I sat in the library and thought. I wasn't sure where to start or where to take it. My first thought was the great suffragette, Alice Paul, but the thought didn't grab me, despite my admiration and respect for her. Then inspiration hit in the form of two words:

Wonder Woman.

From there the whole project seemingly fell into my lap. She's the perfect topic given her creator's feminist theories, all the critiques and misconceptions about her, and the powerful and influential figure/icon that she is in comic book and mainstream culture. With this blog, I hope to explore some of the many facets of Princess Diana, her history and how they can fit with a feminist/gender studies framework.

But I might be getting a bit ahead of myself. To really understand Wonder Woman you must first understand her creator, William Moulton Marston. With that in mind, in my next entry, the topic I will be covering will be Marston and his theories.

No comments:

Post a Comment